Superpulsator Solids Contact Clarifier (SPC)
Superpulsator Solids Contact Clarifier (SPC)
High-rate, solids contact clarifier
The Superpulsator clarifier combines the principles of a sludge blanket and solids contact system into a single, high-rate, clarification unit. Capable of removing turbidity, color, TOC and other constituents in both municipal and industrial water applications.
The Superpulsator Clarifier combines basic chemical principles and proven clarification technology in a high-rate, solids contact clarifier that offers maximum efficiency. The unique design combines flocculation and clarification functions in one basin for optimal use of space. Vacuum generated flow pulsations create a homogeneous sludge blanket that results in excellent effluent quality at minimal operating costs.
HIGH RATE SETTLERS
High rate settlers
• parallel-plate settlers
• tube settlers
increase the available area for solids settling
In a detention time of less than 20min they have settling efficiency comparable to that of a settling tank with a minimum 2 hr detention time.
Existing clarifiers can be upgraded to higher loading rates by the installation of a tube module or lamella.
→ Water to be clarified passes upward through the tubes
→ As settling occurs the solids are collected on the bottom of the tubes
→ Tubes are inclined at an angle of to , which is steep enough to cause the settled sludge to slide down the tubes
→ The sludge falls from the tubes to the bottom of the clarifier where it is removed by sludge rakes 0 45 0 60 3 removed by sludge rakes
→ Tube cross section square or rectangular
→ Higher overflowreates (three to six times as those used for conventional settling) can be used to achieve same degree or treatment with conventional settlers
→ Laminar flow is necessary for efficient settling
→ Similar to the inclined-tube settlers except that inclined plates are used to form the settling compartments
→ sludge and water flow is cocurrent (same direction)
→ Flow entering a lamella seperator flows downward between the plates depositing the sludge as it travels
→ In a horizontal flow tank , the front one-quarter lenght of the basin is generally free from settler modules to allow for better inlet flow conditions.
Upflow Clarifiers (Solid Contact Units)
This units combine flocculation &sedimentation into a structural single unit Upflow solid contact clarifier combine:
→ into a single unit process Flocculation
→ Liquid-solid separation
→ Sludge removal
Solids – Contact Clarifier
→ Raw water is drawn into the primary mixing zone where initial coagulation & flocculation take place
→ Secondary mixing zone is used to produce a large number of particle collisions collisions so that smaller smaller particles particles are entrained in the larger floc
→ Water passes out of the inverted cone into the settling zone, where solids settle to the bottom and clarified water flows over the weir
The Superpulsator Clarifier combines basic chemical principles and proven clarification technology in a high-rate, solids contact clarifier that offers maximum efficiency. The unique design combines flocculation and clarification functions in one basin for optimal use of space. Vacuumgenerated flow pulsations create a homogeneous sludge blanket that results in excellent effluent quality at minimal operating costs. Capable of removing color, turbidity, and organic material in both municipal and industrial applications, Superpulsator treats billions of gallons of water per day in installations throughout the world. Superpulsator adds efficiency and economy to your facility:
• Optimum flocculation and chemical usage. Nearly all other solids contact clarifiers compromise flow distribution in order to gain efficient solids contact. Superpulsator distributes and collects flow over the entire area of the clarifier, utilizing the clarifier volume and sludge blanket in an efficient separation process.
• Low maintenance. Most solids contact processes require mechanical or flowimpeding devices such as mixers, pumps, or baffles to keep the sludge homogeneous. Superpulsator accomplishes this through pulsations powered by a vacuum system. There are no moving parts — or parts susceptible to clogging — under water.
• Corrosion resistant. All submerged parts — collection and distribution laterals, settling plates, valves, and draw-off lines — are made from fiberglass, plastic, or corrosionresistant steel for longer service life. • Operator friendly. The vacuum pump, vent valve arrangement, and sludge waste valves are Superpulsator’s only mechanical parts. Automated and easily accessible, they require minimal operator attention.
• Energy efficient. Compared to other clarification processes, Superpulsator has very low energy requirements. It consumes approximately one horsepower unit per mgd — vs. four to five horsepower units for competitive systems.
Details developed in the field
Superpulsator Clarifiers are field-tested in hundreds of operating installations worldwide. Each step in the process has evolved through patented and proprietary improvements designed with WWTP contractors, engineers, and end users in mind.
1. Raw water distribution A tapered distribution channel maintains a uniform flow velocity of coagulated water to the distribution laterals that span the clarification basin. Orifices in the distribution laterals point downward to provide scouring of the basin floor and impart additional flocculation energy.
2. Particle settlement Our exclusive, inclined settling plates are spaced on 13-inch centers at parallel 60-degree angles. This configuration keeps the sludge blanket homogeneous across the entire settling area, aids in flocculation by creating a vortical flow pattern, and helps guide sludge into the concentrator during pulsation.
3. Effluent collection Submerged collection laterals are used instead of troughs to collect the clarified water at significantly reduced costs.
4. Collection, concentration, and discharge of sludge Guided by the settling plates, excess sludge volume is easily removed from the clarifier and into the sludge concentrator. In the concentrator, the sludge is thickened and periodically removed by gravity wasting.
5. Pulsation equipment Vacuum pumps are mounted directly on the vacuum chamber to reduce the amount of piping needed. A spare pump comes standard with every Superpulsator for added reliability.
• Flexible. Superpulsator is ideal for new construction or can be retrofitted into most existing basin shapes. Tube settlers can be added to most existing installations to expand capacity without constructing additional basins.
• Integrated. Flocculation and clarification functions are combined in one basin, eliminating the need for a separate flocculation chamber. The result? A smaller footprint that significantly reduces construction and operating costs. Options and expansions Create the most efficient and cost-effective system for your needs.
Superpulsator Type U
Clarifier Our patented tube settler modules provide additional clarification to effluent water. The upward flow is polished by the projected tube surface while the lower tube walls guide residual floc back down to the sludge blanket. For increased capacity at a low cost, specify the Type U model.
Greenleaf Filter Control
Combine Superpulsator with this spaceefficient, rapid gravity filter for the most economical and reliable modular water treatment concept anywhere.
• Clarified turbidity of < 1-2 NTU
• Ability to handle high raw solids (0 to 2000+ NTU)
• Up to 60% TOC removal
• Low energy requirement (1 HP per MGD)
• No submerged moving parts
• Integrated flocculation/clarification in one unit
• Ability to add settling tubes for increased capacity
• Hundreds of installations in the Pulsator family
Superpulsator Features & Applications
• No submerged moving parts
• Optimal flocculation and chemical usage
• Corrosion resistant materials
• Low energy requirement
• Minimal operator attention
• High-Rate, compact system
• Flexible layout options
• Customize to any site plan
• Loading Rates: 2.0 to 4.0 gpm/ft2
• Polymer free at reduced loading rates
• Settling plate widths up to 20 feet
• Unit height 16 to 18 feet
• Retrofit existing sedimentation basins
• Retrofit circular clarifier basins
• Common-wall layout with our Greenleaf* Filter
• Surface water clarification
• Membrane pretreatment
• TOC & color removal
• Conventional basin retrofit
Terms & Conditions